The Problem with Convenience

Author: Carlo@hoGc // Category:
Have you ever thought, over all the complains that you make, about what happens when the things you complain about actually disappears? Aside from not having any more things to complain about, how do you think it actually will affect your life?

I've lived in Singapore for nearly 10 years and I have grown accustomed to the life there; the life of convenience. Everything is practically right in front of us like for example public transport, malls, parks, etc. But somehow we are still not happy. We complain that the bus is too hot, we complain that the bus is too crowded, we complain that going from Tampines to Paya Lebar is too far, we complain that the parks are too boring. We complain about a lot of things.

But what if those things we complain about actually disappears? We tend to look at things so negatively that we forget that we're living a life in convenience where you just have to wait for the bus, where the mall is just 5 minutes away from where you stay, where the park has different recreational spots for you to hang out in.

Personally for me, because I've gotten too used to the convenience of life in Singapore, I found it hard to adjust in the life full of inconvenience here in the Philippines. Here there's no malls which are nearby; the nearest mall lies an hour away from where I stay. The public transport here is crap because as you ride it, you bathe in the pollution and dust ridden air of the land (that's even taking the fact that I'm living in the province area and not in the city). You don't have designated spots to actually wait for the public transport like a bus stop or a bus terminal (the closest things here to a bus is a coach that will take you across the country, not across the street). You don't have the luxury of free flowing traffic. You don't have the luxury of a pothole-less road. 

But through all that, I've personally learned that I can't really be too convenient in life. I got to have greater expectations in myself and the things around me. I also have to treasure things more and complain less because you won't know when those convenience will actually be taken away from you and then you'll start living in a world of convenience. Personally, it's hard. I should have treasured the things I have. I shouldn't have complained so much.

This is a turning point in my life though. A point where you realize the things which are already there in your life should be treasured. A point where you learn that you shouldn't always be easily content and convenient with the things that are around you.

I'm going to work more on this aspect of my life. I can't always be like this. It's a part of my growing process.

*

That's all I really want to say this night of July 5, 2009. I am Carlo and I'll see you again next time.