Another One for Class

Author: Carlo@hoGc // Category:
Here's another post that's suppose to be for class.
This is difficult. My mind is not tuned to exposition
essays at the moment. I'm still thinking of how to
continue the short story that I was writing and
that's a narrative.

I just hate experiencing a writer's block. I got to
observe my surroundings more and garner some
awesome inspiration from all around me.

Alright here are the 3 topics that I need to write
about right now. I hope it doesn't bore you to death.
Bear with me on this. I promise later on I'll blog
something less boring and more interesting and
personal.

The 3 topics are:
1) Create a write-up about the internet and its history.
2) As it speeds into the future, what do you think are the implications it will create in our society?
3) Discuss how the internet and the world wide web works.

In times like this, Wikipedia becomes my ultimate
best friend. Hooray for Wikipedia!

Let's begin....

*

The internet was started by a group of visionary people
in the early 1960s. These people saw great potential in
connecting people by allowing computers to share
information on research and development in scientific
and military fields.

J.C.R Licklider of MIT proposed a global network of computers.
Leonard Kleinrock of MIT developed the theory of packet
switching. Lawrence Roberts was the first one to connect
a Massachusetts computer with a California computer in 1965
over dial-up telephone lines. These visionaries and many more
left unnamed here are the real founders of the internet.

From there Emails, ftps, archives and many more arise. Then in 1993,
a graphical browser, Mosaic, was developed. They produced
the most successful browser until Microsoft decided to declare
war.

Bill Gates seeing the potential of the internet, developed
Windows 98 in June 1998 which was well integrated to
the desktop. During this period, businesses struggled to
find economic models that would work.

Right now a current trend with major implications on the
future is the growth of high speed connections. From 56K
modems, which were deemed too slow to carry multimedia,
to cable modems and Digital Subscriber Lines.

As the world becomes smaller and smaller because of the
capabilities and opportunities the Internet has brought us,
more and more dangers are posed to those who are not
prepared for this electronic revolution. The world that we
live in now is covered in this World Wide Web and it connects
all of us no matter where we are. Work times are now getting
diminished because the Web transcends time and crosses 
over time zones of different countries.

But as the internet becomes more and more convenient, 
new dangers present itself. As my Pastors have always 
said: "New Levels, New Devils"

No one really knows the implications of internet to society
at large. But even if we do not know, I believe that we should
still be more prepared and vigilant as ever.

I really have no idea how the technicalities of the Internet
and how it works but here's something from Wikipedia
to expand your knowledge on the matter at hand.

The Internet is a global system of interconnected computer networks. A computer that connects to the Internet can access information from a vast number of servers and other computers. An Internet connection also allows the computer to send information onto the network; that information may be saved and ultimately accessed by a variety of servers and other computers. Much of the widely accessible information on the Internet consists of the interlinked hypertext documents and other resources of the World Wide Web (WWW). Web users typically send and receive information using a web browser; other software for interacting with computer networks includes specialized programs for electronic mail, online chat, file transfer and file sharing.

Information is moved around the Internet by packet switching using the standardized Internet Protocol Suite (TCP/IP). It is a "network of networks" that consists of millions of private and public, academic, business, and government networks of local to global scope that are linked by copper wires, fiber-optic cables, wireless connections, and other technologies.


Click the whole passage to go to the site.

*

That's all I really want to say this tiring night of June 1 2009,
I am Carlo and I'll see you again next time.

PS

It's been 32 Days Since I left Singapore. I miss you guys! 
I'll be back home soon! I miss Heart Of God Church!
I miss Pastors! I miss D3! I miss D5! 

*

Keep following my tweets! xD